Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Pausing to Give Thanks

Omaha's artists and community leaders express their gratitude in this week's edition of The Reader.

Among the media personalities sharing what they are thankful for: Tom Becka (KFAB), Taylor Wilson (KPTM) and Matt Perrault (KXSP).

Since KXVO News Host Matt Geiler did not get his entry in by press time (and it definitely does not meet the issue's space requirements), it is shared here:

I thought I'd send you a copy of a Thanksgiving essay I wrote in the third grade, which I really think sums up the whole issue.

What I Am Thankful For
by Matthew Geiler, Grade 3

This Thanksgiving I am thankful for the personal comfort of knowing the world is at peace. It is calming on my nervous face when I go to bed to know that America is making a substantial side-income from the sale of its values to less fortunate countries like Poland.

I am thankful for girls, even though Michele Weaver will not go with me. I know that one day the girl of dreams will meet me at the pencil sharpener, compliment me on my courderoy jeans and OP t-shirt and then go with me forever. We will have a child and we will never fight becuase we will both like Star Wars.

I am thankful for enough food to eat, and for the new government program that makes us share what we don't use with Ethiopia and the Sudan. America is a great land that really helps out the poor countries by giving ... I don't know what the number is, but it's bigger than a tenth of a percent, so you know it's big.

Most of all, I'm thankful for my Mom. She smells like an angel and bakes me a cherry pie any time I want one.



Geiler added that the "grown-man" version of him is thankful for (in this order):

"My wife and son, my iPod, my 11 pairs of trendy jeans, conveniently-located churches, the schools attached to some of those churches, books, my tooth-whitening system, and lastly, Fred Astaire. The man gave so much to so many while he was alive and is THE reason my wife and I can't watch television at the same time."

No comments: