Friday, December 22, 2006

Flood of Positive E-Mails Greets
Peterson On His Final Day at KMTV

Greg"S%*! happens."

That's how Greg Peterson summed up his dismissal as co-anchor of the 5, 6 and 10 p.m. newcasts on KMTV (Cox Channel 5).

Peterson and veteran co-anchor Deborah Ward were on hand at an all-station meeting Thursday afternoon when it was announced the pair would not have their contracts renewed and a new anchor team would be introduced in January.

"It was a pretty emotional meeting," Peterson said. "A few tears were shed."

Unlike Ward, Peterson chose to spend one more day on the anchor desk. He says he wouldn't have it any other way.

"I love the work," he said. "I whistle when I come to work. I love what I do. It's a wonderful job. I understand that it's a business. And business decisions need to be made."

Peterson spent the hours leading up to his final newscasts answering a flood of e-mails that poured into his inbox.

"There are a lot of wonderful people who have sent great messages," Peterson said. "It really makes you feel good and realize there are people who you've impacted and watched every day. Sometimes the ratings don't reflect that."

Looking Back
In his 25 years of anchoring local TV news, Petersen said the past five have been his most rewarding and enjoyable. He also says he knew it would be an uphill battle to turn ratings around at a station that has been a perennial third-place finisher in the local news race for more than 10 years.

"I was well aware of the challenge ahead when I took over the anchor chair in 2001, and I am very proud of what we have accomplished over that span of time," he said.

Working with Ward was another highlight, Peterson said.

"Her knowledge and professionalism are unequaled," he said. "It is rare that a person in our profession works their entire career at the same television station. Her 26 years at KMTV are a reflection of her ability and character."

Peterson annually anchored the Muscular Dystrophy Association's Labor Day telethon. The work was rewarding was one of dozens of local and national charities he helped with fundraising and volunteer activities.

"My work with MDA, the Madonna School, The Make-A-Wish Foundation, Dare Program and countless other charities has been every bit as rewarding as reporting the news every night," he said. "I hope in a small way, I have made a positive impact on this proud community."

The Final Goodbye
Peterson said KMTV News and Marketing Director Ken Dudzik gave him the green light to deliver some parting words during the 10 p.m. newscast. It is an opportunity few in TV are granted, particularly when they do not leave on their own terms.

At the conclusion of Friday night's newscast, Peterson said:

"Well, this is it. My last broadcast here at KMTV. As I said at six o'clock, they have been the most rewarding five years of my personal life, as well as my professional life.

"I will miss so many people, so many great friends we have made along the way - and you know who you are.

"Now Deb Ward is also leaving this anchor desk. It is rare that a person works their entire career at the same television station. Her 26 years at KMTV are a real reflection of her ability and character. I will miss her most.

"Now to all of you, thank you so much for the wonderful e-mails and phone calls. They have affirmed my longstanding belief that television really is truly magic.

"There are some who wanted me to sign off tonight by saying, 'Stay Classy Omaha.' But I'm not going to. Good night. Thank you. And we will see you down the road."

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a class act. It's true ratings haven't increased, but isn't that the responsibility of the News Director?

Perhaps that's the guy who should start packing next.

"S%*! does happen, Greg, but my advice to you is "F%*!" them! ...and land another great gig.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck Greg. It time it will be clear; "Their loss - Your Gain".

mTm

Anonymous said...

Good Luck Greg - you will be missed! Now I have to find another station to watch the news.....

Anonymous said...

That was really cool of him to give such kudos to Deb Ward. Good luck to them both!

Anonymous said...

Class in the media is pretty much non existant. You definitely are a rare one. Thank you for everything Greg.

Anonymous said...

Greg Peterson is one in a million! He respects Deb so much and I know she feels the same about him. They had a real team relationship. RARE! You should have seen them at the station goodbye meeting. They are two people who inspire others in the newsroom to do better. Total class acts!

Anonymous said...

Greg Peterson was the best anchor in Omaha. And Deb Ward a professional and class act. Now,having said that, I've been in the Channel six habit since I moved to Omaha more than 10 years ago. Old habits die hard. Had Deb and Greg been on channel six - I would have watched them. Best of luck to the two of you.

Anonymous said...

Deb Ward and John Oakey in the morning? Is that too much to ask?

Anonymous said...

I agree with the previous post. Deb, work with John Oakey on first news!!! That would be killer!

Anonymous said...

Don't you guys get it? KMTV knew that the only people that liked Deb and Greg were already watching them. And they knew that for some reason the number of people who DID like them was shrinking.

KMTV obviously knew from research that D&G were not working with the new format, and that if it had any chance of working changes needed to be made.

One may argue that the format is really to blame. That is easy to do since it is now a known commodity. One could also argue the choices to replace them are bad, but that is hard to do since we HAVE NOT SEEN THEM YET.

Sorry folks, television is a business. It needs to make money to survive. Peterson knows that and talked about it in his sign off. I am sure that even if he didn't know what the research showed he could read a rating book.

The trend over the last year has been nothing but down for both KMTV and WOWT, and nothing but up for KETV.

Ratings are as the Journal release says "an imperfect science" but accuracy in the ratings are reflected in trends.

The trend has been bad at KMTV and getting worse. Don't be surprised if there are even MORE changes in the months ahead.

It doesn't matter if the people on air are nice or whatever... what matters is that they make the owners money.

Period

KMM said...

The last comment does not reflect this city. Even Paula Zahn and Colleen Williams could not turn the rating of this station around with this management. This station had the most talented people like Greg Peterson, Chris Eggert, Sara
Simmons ansd Sarah Walters but were not able to do anything with them. Just look at their new weekend team that they have brought in except the lady and you get the picture.
kmm

Anonymous said...

I agree with the last comment 100%. The problem with KMTV wasn't Deb and Greg. Rather, it is the station's image and reputation that has developed the past 10 to 15 years. The ONLY way Channel 3 will ever compete is to completely change the entire station image. This doesn't mean just throwing news in your face (Action News format/yelling reporters/lightening fast dialogue). This market doesn't like tabloid journalism. Instead, this station must connect with the community, which is so difficult to do because it is an intangible, complex quality for a station to master. I don't foresee Journal Broadcast Group investing the necessary time and money to do this. Simply changing the anchors hasn't worked.

Yes, television IS a business. Unfortunately for Channel 3, the business of television is bad...and has been for quite some time. I wish the hard-working staff at Channel 3 the best in 2007. Hopefully, JBG will stop listening to consultants who don't know their heads from their asses and begin listening to what viewers really want. The same can be said, to a lesser degree, for all stations who blindly follow the advice of consultants.

Anonymous said...

I just watched "Action 3 News Live at 5" and let me just say...OH MY GOD!

First of all, I know it's Christmas Day and not nearly as many viewers are tuned in to television. This does not give KMTV any right to subject the few viewers it has to the abomination that is Dave Roberts. He's over-dramatic, arrogant, and has a terrible visual appearance. He's the white version of Devon Patton, but without the lockjaw. I bet they are the best of friends...or the worst of enemies (if their massive egos clash). I tried to watch the newscast but had to turn the channel after two sentences because Roberts' entire persona is so revolting. So, I switched over to KETV 7 to a much more professional, respectable Todd Andrews.

Please tell me Roberts' appearance at the anchor desk is because it is Christmas and is not going to be a bad habit. We can only hope, but I worry about this only because we are subjected to Devon Patton every weekend.

Yes, I know what some of you are thinking: if you don't like what Channel 3 is doing, don't watch. OK...I'll try not to. But I was curious as to who would be on tonight. Kinda like looking at a traffic accident. It's hard not to stare.

I'll end on a positive note by saying that Dave Roberts has a great voice. Perhaps Journal Broadcasting could give him a job at one of their Omaha radio stations. Now I think I'll go stick a hot fire poker in each eye to alleviate the pain.

Anonymous said...

I think I would have kept Greg and dropped Deb. Greg still has the look and the delivery but Deb not so much. Also, I agree that they are going to have to re-establish their sports department. Travis has been arrogant in thinking that no one cares about high school sports...well, they do. When it is time for sports, I know my clicker goes to the other channels because I know I can get all the sports...national, college, and high school and not some limited version. I'm not bagging on Travis himself, rather, just on the choice not get more local.

I also wonder if Joe Jordan will stick around after what happened?

Anonymous said...

I can tell you that the morale couldn't be lower right now. KMTV has undergone a lot of changes over the past couple of years, lost several really good people and gained a few not-so-good ones. (I'm being kind)

Greg and Deb were true pros who will be missed by all of us. Why didn't they get rid of DR, DP, and TJ? Guess a**-kissing works well in local broadcasting.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the problem is not JBG or KMTV but the fact that KOLN CBS is the 200lb grilla in Lincoln and the entire state. The viewers do watch both Omaha and Lincoln no matter what the fcc says. KOLN KGIN is respected and produced a wonderfull product. The viewers in Lincoln have the benfit of coverge in both markets. Besides carrying the exact same daytime, primetime, no 3 national morning news, no 3 Katie Couric, they also grace OPRAH, DR PHIL and other shows. KOLN is a ratings domino over KLKN ABC who losses vewiers in LINCOLN bc of KETV ABC. KHGI ABC and KHAS NBC should be OTA in Lincoln but are NOT bc they could not compete. It looks like KMTV is being marglinzed not only by Omaha stations. The western TV stations suffer ratings problems bc of the KETV and WOWT. KMTV problems are in image, coverage, quality and placement. I think they should try to change calls and Channel numbers. How about KMTV ACTION 42 and KPTM FOX 3, crazy yes, possible mabey, done in other markets yes.

Anonymous said...

How low in the ratings and news $ would KMTV have to get to shut down or be fired from CBS.

Anonymous said...

Here's what the New Action 3 News will look like in a few weeks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JdNhgdV3Qs&mode=related&search=

Omababe said...

>Dave Roberts would make a great game
>show host.

Roberts is like a cheerleader on crank when he's on the air! He's not as bad as the first week he was there, but he still needs to take a chill pill!

In my not so humble opinion, Peterson and Ward are scapegoats. I wasn't even aware that the ratings for KMTV were as bad as they are until it was noted on "the other" blog. I've gotten in the habit of watching 3 at 10, as it seems the least inane of the three (four?) newscasts.

KMTV has a rich history in broadcast journalism. Tom Brokaw, Floyd Kalber, Chuck (is he any relation?) Roberts, and more I'm sure I'm missing. I know they need to do something, but I don't think firing those who are doing their jobs is the answer.

Oh well ... :(

Anonymous said...

Hey Gang,

Just returned from a wonderful vacation with family in South Carolina. I have to tell ya, the above comments have made my day. It's easy to get down, and wonder about the future, but your kind words have given me a huge lift. As many of you know, my wife is a native Omahan, so she is dissapointed about our impending move. But we both look at it as an adventure and are looking foward to a wonderful 2007!
Thank you so much for the kind words. I'll file them away for one of those "down" days, and I'm sure they'll keep us going!

Happy New Year!

Greg

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that TnT have a strangle hold on Journal management to save their buddy Travis from extinction. TJ is safe unless TnT leave which is the sad matter of fact.

Anonymous said...

Can someone please inform me as to who it that these stations count? I've never been counted and everyone I know knows nothing about being asked who they watch. Do they just make up these numbers? Are there only a select few that are asked? If so, this is indeed an imperfect science.

Anonymous said...

The new team is no comparison to Deb and Greg. I can't even watch your news channel anymore. There's just no reason to. Deb & Greg - we miss you!

Anonymous said...

Carl and Carol suck I will not be watching ACTION 3 news anymore!