Monday, November 27, 2006

Omaha World-Herald's Goodfellows Program
Dates Back to Newspaper's Earliest Years

Omaha World-Herald Goodfellows LogoThis year's Omaha World-Herald Goodfellows program looks to top the record amount of $347,760.74 raised last year.

The Goodfellows holiday food program dates back to the late 1800s, when the newspaper and its readers extended a "towline" to the needy of the community. The emergency assistance program started in 1994 and has grown to be the largest portion of Goodfellows spending. According to the World-Herald, the charity also offers grocery certificates for holiday meals, clothes for needy schoolchildren and eye care and eyeglasses for the homeless.

The previous record total for a Goodfellows campaign was $338,625.30 in 2000.

The World-Herald pays all the administrative costs of the charity, so 100 percent of each donation goes directly to those in need.

This year, the newspaper is accepting donations online. Click here to contribute.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Screw 'em! Maybe they could come clean my toilet bowl or rake my yard for money. Why should I give my hard earned money to them, why I had to sit through conferences in Las Vegas and take clients out to expensive dinners and golf outings to earn my money! The hardships I have gone through this last year, like my plane being delayed so that I had to eat airport food and then stay overnight in a 4-star hotel when the delay extended to the next morning.

The wankers they give this money to ought to feel grateful Bush has cut my taxes! Now if only these dimwits would pick it up on their end, this would truly be a great country! Maybe the can flip me a burger or something, but give the left behinds the change in my pocket? NONSENSE!