Friday, September 22, 2006

Lincoln Radio Station Slogan
Hit With Trademark Infringement

KLMY logoClear Channel Communications has told Lincoln radio station KLMY (106.3) that it must stop using the word "my" in its slogan, "My 106.3" because of trademark infringement.

The station has been known as "My 106.3" since March of 2004, when it switched music formats from contemporary hits to adult contemporary.

According to a story in the Lincoln Journal Star, KLMY General Manager Julie Gade said Clear Channel's corporate office did not tell her who or what holds the "my" trademark, just that her station must stop using it immediately.

There are several other Clear Channel stations around the country who have "My" in their name: KJMY ("My 99.5") in Salt Lake City, WMYI ("My 102.5") in Greenville, S.C., KZMY ("My 103.5") in Bozeman, Mont., KTMY ("My Country 104.3") in Boise, Idaho and WYCL ("My 107.3) in Pensacola, Fla.

The station is now asking listeners to sumbit ideas for a new name. They can be e-mailed to austinmichael@clearchannel.com.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Touche, ONewsie, Touche!

I wonder if it is News Corporation who owns the "My" trademark? They do own the new My Network TV.

Melanie said...

Clear Channel has had change before this too. Remember when 93.3 was K-rock? Infinity Broadcasting made them give up that name. Then they changed it too the "Dam Station"?
BTW who the frick thought of THAT name? Wow, good call...

Anonymous said...

Am I missing something O-Newsie? The article says that Clear Channel wants another station to change its name, not that Clear Channel is being forced to change its name.