Friday, September 29, 2006

John Oakey: I'm Not Leaving

John Oakey mug, courtesy of KETV.comKETV morning and midday news anchor John Oakey said he was as surprised as anyone when he heard the news that he was leaving the station.

"I came in this morning and Mike'l Severe started playing a farewell good-bye song and that's when I learned I was on the (Omaha TV News) blog," Oakey said. "As far as I know, I am still employed at KETV. Of course management doesn't come in for a few more minutes.

"Maybe I didn't read the small print when I re-signed my new contract last month. Maybe it said three weeks, not three years."

Oakey moved to the "First News" morning program in July of 2001 after 11 years as a sports anchor and reporter. He said Friday's report of his supposed departure triggered a flurry of messages from other colleagues in the media.

"Again, I'm here until they pull me off the desk kicking and screaming - in a manly way of course," he said.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What;s the big deal? As an "alert reader" I noticed that most of Ted's stuff is inaccurate.

Brian said...

Glad to hear it was an incorrect report as well.

Omababe said...

I think this incident helps to confirm that yes, the omanews blog (as well as this one) is well-read by the newsroom staffs. :)

Anonymous said...

at least ketv finally got their head out of their a??. After several great reporters and anchors left ketv. at least we have one good one we can count on for at least the next 3 years.