Friday, May 05, 2006

Last Name Coincidence An Uncomfortable Situation

Michelle Bandur Mug ShotKMTV "Action 3 News" reporter Michelle Bandur found herself to be part of a bizarre coincidence when she rolled up to the scene of a double shooting Thursday night.

Bandur and photojournalist Rich Watson immediately began interviewing witnesses, asking if they knew the occupants of the home at 336 Beverly Drive, in the District 66 neighborhood.

"A young girl told me it was the 'Bandurs,'" Bandur said. "I told her, 'that’s my last name!'"

Moments later, Watson noticed the personalized plate "bandur2" on a car parked in the driveway. Bandur said she did not immediately know of any relatives living there, but since she grew up in the vicinity, she phoned her mother, who also said she wasn't aware of any relatives living in the neighborhood.

This morning, after the identities of the two victims were made public, Bandur said she phoned her father and brother to further check into any relation between Laura Bandur, who lived at the home, and Eric Bandur of Phoenix, Ariz. Both died after being shot.

"My brother, Kurt, graduated from Westside High School with Eric Bandur," Bandur said. "They were always joking around about being related, but (they) were not. And the more I think about it, I’ve run into other people who have asked about that Bandur family and whether or not we are related."

Bandur said the incident jogged her memory of a book written by Miami Herald reporter Edna Buchanan. "The Corpse had a Familiar Face" is a collection of Buchanan's experiences of being witness to the results of more than 5,000 violent crimes. Sometimes she knew the victim, sometimes the victim was a stranger.

"I keep waiting for the day when I will be covering a tragic story and I will know the person - whether it’s family, grade school friend, best friend, etc.," Bandur said. "I hope none of my colleagues will ever see that."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So she was "hiding" in Omaha by driving around with her last name Bandur on her license plates? Smart!

M.O.M.

Unknown said...

Actually, it was her ex-husband who sported the personalized plates on his vehicle.